The McGrady Family: Tyler, Cara, Hudson & Sadie

Friday, July 9, 2010

Maybe I want a tiara too....


Lately, I've found myself becoming more & more obsessed with a show about little girls {and um, sometimes even boys?} who are in pageants. 

It's called Toddlers & Tiaras- Yup, the TLC show that features 4 year olds who look like 34 year olds.  I am absolutely obsessed with this show.  I have it set up as a series recording with our DVR {Thank goodess for DVR's!!!} Part of me finds it terrifying.  The other part of me is enthralled by it.  I used to find it strange that they sold TLC shows on DVD... Seriously, who would want to buy the season-set of Jon & Kate Plus Eight or I Didn't Know I was Pregnant {a show that could be another complete blog post in & of itself...}, however, I think I could watch Toddlers & Tiaras over & over & over again....

My absolute favorite episode is the one with Madison/Tootie {click to watch a clip}.  Yes, her mother allows her to go by "Tootie" when she's on stage.  Some might consider Tootie a nasty little brat.  I dunno, I think the girl's got spunk.  {And perhaps a multiple personality disorder--a la Sybil.}  What can I say though, the girl is on top of her game when she's in front of the judges.  And her attitude kinda cracks me up.  {Who lets their child behave that way?!?}  I think her episode was the first I saw.... and I've been hooked since.

I really love the pageant parents.  I think I like watching them just as much, if not more than the little contestants.  Check out #3 'Ava's Dad' here.  I could totally picture Tyler acting like this if we ever had a little girl in pageants.  {Hah.}

The strangest part of all to me is the complete transformation these little 5 & 6 year olds go through to look "glitzed" enough for the stage.  Don't get me wrong, I looooove being girly.  But really?  Fake eyelashes on a three year old?  And the pedicures?  I didn't have a pedicure until I was in college!  And some of these kids get them weekly!  The one thing they don't really show on TV are the photos for the "Most Beautiful Portraits" portion of the pageants.  They mention them, but they don't show up-close photos.  I took it upon myself to do some research.  This site is just bizarre.  Sure, I understand editing a photo because of a stray hair, a blemish, to even out skin tone.... but to add NEW EYES?!?!  Are you kidding me?  And check out these photos.... If you hover your mouse over them, it shows you the "before picture."  Yikes.  All I can say is, "Hey second little girl down, I want that hair." 

I think that it's a very good thing Hudson is a boy... I really think that if we had a girl right now, I'd already be contemplating entering her in a pageant or two..... Or hey, I could be like Hayden & Maverick's mom {and Tyler would absolutely killlllll me!} Hopefully by the time we're ready for another baby, my Toddlers & Tiara's obsession will be done & over with. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home