The McGrady Family: Tyler, Cara, Hudson & Sadie

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Hudson's Arrival {Part One}

Our little man is already one week & one day old.  I can't even believe he's ours.  He's the sweetest little boy you ever did meet.  ♥  Last week was a whirlwind to say the least, but here's how we ended up with our little guy:

Monday: I woke up feeling as though I had been hit by a truck.  I just didn't feel right at all.  I tried calling my OB, but the line was busy every time.  Luckily, I had a 10:00 appointment for a Non-Stress Test {NST}, so I figured I'd just tough it out until I got there.  I started having 15 minute-apart contractions on the way to the OB's office {yup, while driving}.  Fantastic.  There I was driving down 422 breathing in--1, 2, 3.  Out-- 1, 2, 3.  My sister met me at the office & my contractions seemed to slow down. 
During the NST, they hooked me up to a machine that registered the baby's heartrate, movement & any contractions I might be having.  Yup, I was having contractions alright.  But the baby wasn't moving around as much as they would have liked.  The nurse used a buzzer on my belly to startle the baby... and we quickly realized that this was one laid-back baby.  Without seeing the movement they were hoping for, I was taken upstairs to have an ultrasound.  We quickly realized why Baby McGrady wasn't moving around very much!  The poor kid was wall-to-wall in there.  We couldn't even see the face because everything was so jam-packed.
Dr. Konda decided to examine me since I had been having some pretty intense contractions... and I was thrilled when she told me I was 2 centimeters dialated!  {Not a lot, I realized, but it was WAY better than hearing, "Nope, no progress." at every other appointment!} 
After I was finished at the OB's office, my mom, grandma & I went for lunch at Pizza Hut.  I don't know if it was the banana peppers on my pizza or what... but I started having MAJOR contractions.  At one point, I was keeled over in the parking lot just praying that my baby wouldn't be a segment on the evening news...  {I never wanted to be one of those moms who were featured because they delivered in a strange place.} 
So, with contractions coming about 5 minutes apart, we decided to do the only logical thing.... and go to my school so I could get my report cards & finish them before school was out.  {Yes, most would have gone to the hospital... but I am obviously not most people.}  I stayed in the car while my mom ran in {literally, ran...} into PCA to get all my stuff.  I sat in the car huffing & puffing... all the while being cheered on by Debi, the fourth grade teacher & Julie, the mom of two of my former students.  With report cards in hand, my mother exited the school & we were off once again.  This time to BMH.
Oh, and I forgot to mention that my mother was driving my Explorer.  And she couldn't figure out how to adjust the seat.  {Keep in mind that I am 5'8" and my mom is 5'3".}  Every time she would try to hit the breaks, the car would do this jerky-lurchy move & I was convinced my baby was going to end up on the floor mat.  She was also trying to get me to do 1980's breathing exercises and focus on something.  At one point, I looked over at her and snapped, "Would you just SHUT UP!?!"  I think she realized right then that yes, she probably should just shut up.  I called Tyler & through clenched teeth told him that he needed to meet us... now.


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home