The McGrady Family: Tyler, Cara, Hudson & Sadie

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Never Have I Ever...

What's up with his pants?  And what are those penguins doing by a pond?

"Mary Poppins-The Musical" is coming to Pittsburgh next month.  I'm sure there are oodles of folks who are just thrilled about this.  I'm not one of those people.  You see, I've never seen "Mary Poppins."  Ever.  I still have no idea why there are penguins involved in the commercials.  I read a book in elementary school called Mr. Popper's Penguins... but I have a feeling it's unrelated.  Friends of mine are shocked to find out that I've never really ever sat down and watched it.  They're even more shocked to find out the other "standards" that have never graced my presence.  I have a feeling that my parents had a Julie Andrews/Dick Van Dyke aversion.  It's strange that most of their films never made it into our VHS player when I was growing up.  Maybe my mom & dad have something against musicals.  Whatever the case may be, I feel a little lost.  I have no clue what really goes on in these classics.
Probably the most shocking unseen-by-me film is "The Sound of Music."  I'm all about studying about WWII & forgoodnesssake, the hub & I met in a Holocaust class of all places!  Until just this year, I had no idea that the movie had anything to do with Nazis.  (Who puts Nazis in a musical?!?) For the last 26 years, I seriously thought the entire film was based upon Julie Andrews running around in a field singing her head off about the hills and how they were alive.  And those kids... are they orphans?  Oh, wait that was Annie, right?  Yet another classic I haven't seen.  For the longest time, I assumed Daddy Warbucks was some chain restaurant's advertising persona... kinda like Colonel Sanders.  "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" is another film that I've never seen.  I know the chorus to the title track.  That's about it.  Oh, and the car flies.  Don't ask me how, though.
For the love....f you're going to see Mary Poppins the Musical or if you've seen the movie-- can you just tell me just what exactly those penguins are doing?
Don't get me wrong here.  I ♥ love♥ musicals.  "Guys & Dolls," "Bye, Bye Birdie," "West Side Story," "Wicked," "Newsies"-- all at the top of my list.  I'm thinking some day I'm actually going to need to sit down & watch these movies I've never seen.  Maybe I'll make my parents watch them with me.  You know what they say about payback.

PS: Have I mentioned that I never ate a PB&J sandwich until I was in tenth grade?  Seriously.  Please fill me in if there are other "typical kid" things I need to cross of my list.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home